About Facilitating Wonder

Most Americans lack basic scientific literacy.
Most Americans studied science in school.
Most teachers are smart, kind and hard working.
What’s going on?
What can we do about it?

The first two statements are, it seems to me, indisputable. The third is grounded in over twenty years of professional work in schools as a teacher, teacher of teachers and educational researcher. These questions and ideas drive my professional work and define my professional passions. When juxtaposed they also implore me, implore us as a community of educators, to do things fundamentally differently than we have before.

This blog is intended to help readers (and writers) ponder these questions and ideas in fruitful ways. Some postings — those categorized as ‘ReaL Stuff’ — related directly to ReaL Earth System Inquiry (ReaL stands for Regional and Local) a National Science Foundation funded project. The ReaL project is a teacher professional development and materials development program to support inquiry oriented teaching of local and regional geology. Hopefully others will also find these posts of interest.

I’m Don Duggan-Haas, keeper of Facilitate Wonder and currently the Education Research Associate at The Paleontological Research Institution and its Museum of the Earth.  I’ve taught in a wide range of settings — from grade school to grad school and from the inner city to the Ivy League.  Most recently, I was a science teacher at Tapestry High School in Buffalo, New York.  I’ve also been a professor of education at Colgate & Cornell Universities and Kalamazoo College. You can learn more about me from my Colgate University personal web page. You can learn more about my move to Tapestry in this post. The move to Tapestry refreshed my memory about how stifling the structure of schools can be for the facilitation of wonder.   Read some about that in this post.

Word maps created with Thinkmap Visual Thesaurus.